FUE OR FOLLICULAR UNIT EXTRACTION OR SCARLESS HAIR TRANSPLANT
These are all different names given to the same procedure.
The basic difference in this method as compared to the old “Strip Method” is that there is no long linear scar at the back of the head. No strip is removed and hence “NO STITCHES”!!!!
Follicular unit extraction FUE Hair Transplant
The Follicular unit of hair which may contain 1/2/3 or rarely 4 hairs are removed in whole and transplanted to the recipient area. There is not cutting of the scalp or the grafts, thereby minimizing graft loss.
The Advantages of FUE Hair Transplant as compared to FUT or Strip Method are:
1. No long linear scar and hence pain is less and so is the healing time
2. Can cut your hair short and scars aren’t seen
3. At any given time about 20% follicles in an area are dormant which are not seen and in the strip method these dormant follicles are discarded which is a loss
4. “Cherry Picking” – when harvesting follicles, we choose and take follicles with 2-3 hairs hence increasing the density of the recipient area even with lesser grafts
5. Even if any grafts are damaged during harvest, the roots are still inside and the hair will regrow, so – MINIMAL LOSS of precious hair follicles.
6. Can do an “ANAGEN SPECIFIC” harvest where only the young and robust hair follicles are harvested to give you the best results.
7. Since the graft quality and sizes are more uniform, packing closer is easier.
The procedure of anaesthesia is the same except that the time for which you have to lie in a face down position is a bit more.
1. If you have dandruff, use KZ/Arcolane/Scalpe Shampoo daily for 3
2. Days before surgery.
2. If you have any Medical Problems inform the doctor; do not take any drugs before surgery without informing the doctor.
3. Relax; avoid exertion the day before surgery.
4. Take easily digestible food: Dal, Rice, Rasam, Sambar and vegetables-avoid spicy food.
5. Avoid smoking/Alcohol, for a week before surgery.
6. Take a good night sleep:
On the day of surgery
1. Reach the center by the time informed to you; do not be late.
2. IMPORTANT: Do not come on empty stomach. COME ON A FULL STOMACH.
Have lunch/breakfast depending on the time of arrival.
3. Wear comfortable loose fitting pant and shirt with buttons, don’t wear t-shirt.
4. Surgery will take about 5-8 hours.
5. You may travel back in auto/car/taxi but preferably not two wheeler, you cannot drive after surgery when you go back to home, nor can sit on pillion.
Please note that hair transplantation is a very predictable surgery; all postoperative events are already informed to you, so there is no need for any anxiety.
1. Have light food. Don’t drink alcohol or smoke
2. Take medicines as per the prescription. All capsules to be taken after food or glass of milk-not in empty stomach.
3. You may watch TV/Listen music.
4. Avoid exertion.
5. Avoid Jerky movements of head.
6. Go to bed early.
7. Use soft pillows. You may lie on the back of head.
8. If you feel pain, take 1 additional cap of Ultracet, but with a glass of milk.
Post FUE Hair Transplant Care
Note that moisture is very important for grafts; So wet the hairs both in donor and recipient(grafts) either by spray or wet pad of water; don’t be hesitant to put water; water should be clean; mineral water or boiled cooled water; you may add a small pinch of salt to the water.
Does wetting as often as you can (2-6 times) for the first 4 days?
Don’t disturb the grafts by rubbing / combing. Rest of the scalp may be cleaned by baby shampoo if you wish; otherwise water is enough
This may appear in 5% of patients on the fore head which may come down to eyelids on day 4/5. If so do not worry, it will disappear in ½ day.
Apply ice cubes as follows.
a. Take ice cubes.
b. Keep them in plastic zip lock pouch and keep it on the swollen areas. If you do not have ice, take wet cloth in cold water.
c. Keep the ice pack o the swollen area for 5-7 minutes for 4-5 times for 2 days.
After FUE Surgery
Hairs may start falling by 2 weeks. Do not panic, the roots are firmly in place. Sometimes, you may see whitish material sticking on to roots; don’t worry about it. They will start growing by 3-4 month; you will see full results in 9 months.
Apply Minoxidil lotion twice a day 1ml and take tablet Finasteride after 1 week for one year (if prescribed).
Minoxidil may cause some dryness/dandruff, use a conditioner.
NOTE: Some patients are too anxious to clean grafts; so they may see grafts with greenish brown material sticking to skin; this only needs proper cleaning. Note that after 7 days, rubbing is allowed.
Prepare for your FUE Hair Transplant
- Make an initial consultation with your Surgeon. Discuss why you want the procedure done, Openly! We want to know why!
- Discuss any medications your taking with the surgeon.
- Discuss a procedure date and plan for work and holidays. Remember you need healing time of 10-15 days.
- Book your procedure date
- Pay your deposit to book your date (IMPORTANT) because then we know your serious and we get booked out very fast!
- Have your blood tests done and sent to your clinic for the surgeon to check over
- The night before you will most probably be fasting so relax and follow your surgeons instructions
- Drink plenty of water and keep hydrated before your fasting period
- Get a good night’s sleep don’t be worried. You chose us to look after you!
- Shower and make sure you get to the center with ample time so the surgeon can prepare you for your marking and procedure.
- Download print and fill the consent form (link) and bring it with you.
- smoke for about two weeks before and three weeks after the procedure
- Drink alcohol or caffeine at least 48 hours before
- Take any blood thinning medications, such as Aspirin or Advil.
- Be nervous you are in safe and experienced hands!
- Be involved in high impact exercises or activities.
- Arrive at the clinic on time
- Listen to staff instructions
- Stay relaxed
- Settle into your day care room and take before pictures for reference
- Practice breathing – to relax this will prepare you for your pain management
- The surgeon will discuss the target areas with you before taking you into the day care center. He/She will explain any restrictions if there may be.
- Areas for fat removal will be marked with a surgical marker pen.
- The admin staff will go over your consent form and you make the payments
What happens during the procedure
- You will be taken into a clean and sterile OT environment with sterilized instruments.
- The surgeon and his team will check your detail whilst in the OT before the procedure.
- The pain management team will provide you with pain relief according to the treatment plan and the procedure will start.
- Your procedure will take place and finish within the allotted time.
- You will be able to see your extracted fat and measure the amount collected
- You will be moved back to recovery and you will stay till you have recovered fully, eaten something and you are settled.
- The team will look after you till you are ready to leave in the evening
- The surgeon will check up on you.
- You will be given prescription medicines and instructions for your fast recovery.
- walk around and be active as soon as you can on the same day of the procedure
- drink lots of water and be hydrated
- take a shower after removal of the dressing after 4 days from the procedure or as advised.
- Care of the grafts to be done as advised and keep them moist.
- Come in for follow ups with your surgeon
- Eat healthy
- be idle but don’t argue shout or fight.
- Drive first four days.
- feel like you’ve had a big procedure and think you need ‘rest’
- drive or operate heavy machinery, lift heavy objects or strain within 2 days of your procedure
- smoke or drink alcohol
What happens next…
- Although Hair transplant is a lifestyle procedure it is still a surgical procedure so along with rest and rehydration its imperative that you allow your body to heal in its own time
- Filling effect is noticed immediately but full & final results are seen after 8-12 months as the grafts fall off in the next few weeks. But, the surgery is only the beginning you need to look after it just like anything else.
- Follow all after care procedures, you will be taught how to oil and take care of the grafts.
- After your complete healing period. We look forward to seeing you at your last check up, More body confident and happy!