These are procedures to help contour the face better and give a more proper look. They are usually a combination of procedure or individual ones depending on the situation and the changes sought for. The facial changes may be sought because of recent weight gain or could be genetics or ageing causing the issues. If it is bothering you then you can consult our trained surgeons at Aesthetics plus who will sit with you to identify the problem specifically bothering you and help you find a solution for them. Always remember at Aesthetics Plus its always “about YOU”. Like a sculptor needs to chip off a few areas or leave some areas untouched to bring out the best, our surgeons will advise what would be the best options to balance and rejuvenate your face.
In a round face it would involve a buccal fat pad removal or a cheek liposuction with or without a double chin liposuction In a oval face it might involve fat grafting for the cheeks or implants. In a square face it may involve BOTOX for prominent angles of the jaw in women Threads can be done to tighten jowls with or without liposuction Double chin could be treated with a Liposuction or Fat dissolving injections with or without threads. Most of these procedures are relatively minor and day care procedures which can be done under local anaesthesia or local anaesthesia plus sedation.
For a double chin, there maybe fat collection in the sub cutaneous tissue or it could be deeper under the muscles of the floor of the mouth. The Sub cutaneous fat is the one most commonly dealt with when we talk about liposuction.
Small 1mm incision are given under the chin and under the ear lobes from where the suction is done to remove the fatty layer there. Post procedure you need to wear a chin strap which is a tight garment o help mold the excess
skin and prevent swelling. It’s a well tolerated procedure with minimal side effects. Rarely there maybe some injury to the “marginal mandibular nerve” which may cause numbness and an uneven smile. As this is because of blunt force trauma to the nerve, it recovers with conservative management, though
it can be irritating to wait for the full recovery.
Buccal Fat Removal
Some people have a round face which masks their cheek bones and makes their faces look heavy. In such cases a buccal fat pad removal can help by removing the fat in the cheek area and thereby enhancing the cheek bone. Many a times people coming in asking for a cheek enhancement actually need a buccal fat pad removal rather than a cheek enhancement. The look that you get after a buccal fat pad removal is the look that you get when you suck in the cheeks in front of a mirror. The procedure is done by small cuts in the upper teeth sulcus on both sides. It can be done under local ananesthesia or sedation. Small incision are given and the buccal fat pad is eased out which is cauterized under vision and excised. The most important thing here is not to pull or remove too much fat.
The wounds are closed with absorbable sutures. You might have swelling for a week or 10 days but it’s a well tolerated procedure.
Cheek Liposuction & Jow Liposuction
If the fatty component is more in the cheeks and is adding to the bulky face then a liposuction can be done to reduce the same. The jowls which we notice as we age can be suctioned to empty them so that the skin can shrink and give a better contour to the lower face. Sometimes cheek lipo is also done to make the jaw line more prominent and give the “chiseled” look that many young men aim for. It could be combined with fillers for the jaw augmentation. The incisions are almost invisible and in front of the ear lobule. Though the volumes removed
are not much but the overall effect is significant.
As we age, changes in the face are pretty apparent. Gravity and sun damage cause the skin to sag and jowls appear along with deepening of the folds around the nose and mouth. Thread lifts are now done as a simple lunchtime procedure to lift these areas to provide a subtle lift and turn back time and also revolumise the face in combination with fillers. The treads are made of PDO and are inserted in the dermis of the skin. These thread immediately provide a splinting effect but as they dissolve and are converted into collagen over the next few months, these collagen strands shrink and give the lift to the cheeks and the jowls.
The results are of course not comparable to a formal face lift or a even suspended threads but it can help delay the need for these for a few years. Its usually done as an outpatient procedure after application of a numbing cream. The effects last for 1-2 years after which might have to add a few more threads.
Prepare for your Facial Contouring
- Make an initial consultation with your Surgeon. Discuss why you want the procedure done,
- Discuss any medications your taking with the surgeon.
- Discuss a procedure date and plan for work and holidays. Remember you need reshaping time of 10-15 days.
- Book your procedure date
- Pay your deposit to book your date (IMPORTANT) because then we know your serious and we get booked out very fast!
- Have your blood tests done and sent to your clinic for the surgeon to check over
- The night before you will most probably be fasting so relax and follow your surgeons instructions
- Drink plenty of water and keep hydrated before your fasting period
- Get a good night’s sleep don’t be worried. You chose us to look after you!
- Shower and make sure you get to the center with ample time so the surgeon can prepare you for your marking and procedure.
- Download print and fill the consent form (link) and bring it with you.
- smoke for about two weeks before and three weeks after the procedure
- Drink alcohol or caffeine at least 48 hours before
- Take any blood thinning medications, such as Aspirin or Advil.
- Be nervous you are in safe and experienced hands!
- Be involved in high impact exercises or activities.
- Arrive at the clinic on time
- Listen to staff instructions
- Stay relaxed
- Settle into your day care room and take before pictures for reference
- Practice breathing – to relax this will prepare you for your pain management
- The surgeon will discuss the target areas with you before taking you into the day care center. He/She will explain any restrictions if there may be.
- Areas for fat removal will be marked with a surgical marker pen.
- The admin staff will go over your consent form and you make the payments
What happens during the procedure
- You will be taken into a clean and sterile OT environment with sterilized instruments.
- The surgeon and his team will check your detail whilst in the OT before the procedure.
- The pain management team will provide you with pain relief according to the treatment plan and the procedure will start.
- Your procedure will take place and finish within the allotted time.
- You will be able to see your extracted fat and measure the amount collected
- You will be moved back to recovery and you will stay till you have recovered fully, eaten something and you are settled.
- The team will look after you till you are ready to leave in the evening
- The surgeon will check up on you.
- You will be given prescription medicines and instructions for your fast recovery.
- walk around and be active as soon as you can on the same day of the procedure
- drink lots of water and be hydrated
- take a shower after removal of the dressing after 4 –5 days from the procedure or you will be asked to come in for a suture removal Care of the suture line as advised.
- Come in for follow ups with your surgeon
- Use the creams and oils and meds as advised.
- Eat healthy
- be idle but don’t argue shout or fight.
- Drive first four days
- feel like you’ve had a big procedure and think you need ‘rest’
- drive or operate heavy machinery, lift heavy objects or strain within 2 days of your procedure
- smoke or drink alcohol
What happens next…
- Although facial contouring is a lifestyle procedure it is still a surgical procedure so along with rest and rehydration its imperative that you allow your body to heal in its own time
- the changes noticed immediately but full & final results are seen after few weeks as tissues heal. So look after it just like anything else..
- Full results are seen after 8-12 weeks but the surgery is only the beginning you need to look after it just like anything else.
- You will be taught massages to help the implant settle and also help the skin relax. Please do them regularly as advised.
- Follow all after care procedures. Keep your implant guarantee card in a safe place
- After your complete healing period. We look forward to seeing you at your last check up, More body confident and happy!